Operation Goals for Hope Province of Maysan, Iraq 2009-2010
Team Leader: CPT Michael H., CAT 612
The official Dept. of Defense memo on Operation Goals for Hope dated 26 Aug 2009 outlines details on the project:
1. Purpose. To outline the details of the Maysan Province Soccer Tournament so that charitable organizations can be informed of how their efforts will support the people of Maysan, Iraq.
2. Background. Maysan Province is the poorest province in Iraq. Under Saddam’s regime, this predominantly Shia Province was forced into poverty as their marshlands were destroyed and the irrigation for their agriculture dried up. The provincial unemployment rate is now in excess of 40%. This province has struggled to come up to par with the rest of Iraq as it moves toward a free, democratic way of life. The current Iraqi government and the United States government are currently working together to improve essential services such as electricity, clean drinking water, and waste management.
3. Concept. The concept behind this operation is to improve public confidence in their security situation and their prospects for a better future. This program will provide soccer equipment (jerseys, cleats, shin guards, and socks) to forty different twenty man soccer teams in two different age categories, ages 8-13 and 14-18. These teams will be spread throughout the 13 major cities and districts of the province. The teams will have the opportunity to train and prepare for a week long soccer tournament at a stadium in the capital of Amarah in late 2009 or early 2010.
4. Philanthropy/Sponsorship. The Provincial Council of Maysan and U.S. Army Civil Affairs Team 612 request your assistance in providing soccer jerseys, cleats, socks, shorts, and shin guards for these soccer teams. We are requesting assistance from several different organizations and companies, so any assistance that your organization could provide would be greatly appreciated. In exchange for your contribution, your company will be mentioned in all advertisements and press releases associated with this event.
5. Donated Items. The items donated should be in new condition. The jerseys should preferably be green, red, white, black, blue, or any combination of the 5 in color. Socks should be white or black in color, shorts black in color, and cleats should be black in color. If the items donated do not meet this criteria, they will still be put to good use with Iraqi children but may not be used in the league.